PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 07:35
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
La Vespa!

Westland Wasp HAS1 over the Bay of Plenty in November 1990. (Photo: Glenn White)

The last time I saw an RNZN Wasp in the flesh as it were, was in June/July of 1990 off the coast of the province of New Britain in Papua New Guniea where an RNZN Frigate was attending negotiations between the PNG government and members of the rebel group the BRA.

Westland Wasp XT788 as attached to HMS Minerva in November 1969. The craft went on to serve aboard the civilian SS Uganda during her incarnation as a hospital ship during the Falklands campaign (1982).

Word has it that XT788 now trawls the UK's supermarket car parks in support of fundraising exercises for wounded service personnel.

The SS Uganda to which XT788 (middle photo) was attached on MEDEVAC duties in 1982

In the early 70's I sailed aboard the SS Uganda as part of a school cruise taking-in the Eastern Med. Memorable moments included food poisoning in Istanbul and a force 9 gale between Alexandria and Heraklion.

Oh, and a nursing assistant in the sick bay who, upon reflection, was probably my first infatuation! In somewhat unoriginal fashion but, lacking experience in such matters, I managed to conjure up what I thought were convincing ailments on a daily basis. When eventually she confronted me with the revelation of her awareness that there was in fact nothing wrong with me and that my visits were merely a ruse to visit her .. I turned a mild-scarlet! In sympathy I was rewarded with a smacker atop my forehead and which only intensified the fever!

Sav