PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forthcoming Book on The 49ers
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 20:46
Old Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A GREAT read.

Just finished this book after downloading it from Amazon onto the iPad. I read it constantly over the past few days and couldn't put it down until I had worked my way through to the last page. A great read.

As an outsider but someone closely linked to a few of the names mentioned and a frequent operator into HKG over the past 15 years I have a small insight into the validity of this book. It brought back some sad memories of the appalling way in which Cathay went from an admired airline that many of us would have loved to fly for, to a deep pit of animosity and despair that was occasioned by the awful behaviour of their management.

The book begins with John's account of his start in aviation which, although interesting, I found a little self serving. John had a colourful start in aviation but hardly unique and many have walked the same path. The book took off for me when he started his account of the dispute between management and the AOA. This starkly accurate and gripping story is one that is hard to believe except that I know it is true. The despicable actions of management are best read for oneself as to try to repeat them here would only dilute their impact. The book continues into a fascinating account of the legals that finally revealed to us all what lying bastards were employed by Swire to do their dirty work.

I finished the book with mixed feelings. The guilty had hardly been made to pay for their crimes whereas the victims of their vicious campaign paid dearly and continue to do so. Had CX management been tarred and feathered and paraded up and down the runway at Kai Tak before being drowned in the canal of sewage that ran down the side of the runway I might have felt satisfied. As it is, all I can hope is that this story is read by as many pilots as possible.

Join your Union and stick together for dear life or this story might just become yours!

Last edited by Old Pilot; 17th Apr 2011 at 20:50. Reason: typo