PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you go from flying small prop planes to flying a 777?
Old 17th Apr 2011, 19:54
stevop21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pilot market in South Africa is very different to Europe. (My family is South African even though I live in the UK) I am also 16 and hope to fly in SAA some day!

As far as I see it the pilot market in South Africa only moves when SAA hire. As redsnail said it will be more useful in the African Aviation forum. Here is Europe it is not uncommon for guys fresh out of flight school to go and fly a jet. In Africa this simply does not exist, you must build experience. The only exception I can think of is when the SAA cadet scheme was running.

It may be worth checking out the SAX cadet programme but I guess they will only be looking for a 'certain type of applicant'...

Many people instruct, bush fly to build experience then may be taken on by Airlink or SAX for example. Then hope to move onto SAA, Emirates, comair or whatever. Many of the schools are very helpful and will happily chat to you via phone or even better go and visit. 43rd, SAFTA, flight training George etc...

Good luck and hope to see you on the SAA flightdeck one day!!