PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR & RoS
Thread: PVR & RoS
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 14:11
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
LW,

First of all I agree with you. When I joined the RAF many years ago I fully expected to be moved around during my career - indeed that was one of the attractions. I also realised that to a large extent my life was no longer my own.....

However, I offer the following comment - which is a GENEAL one, and may well not apply specifically to LGAF!!!!

Many (but not all) of the youth of today who join the RAF either do not seem to appreciate your point, recognise it, or accept it (perhaps the recruitment world doesn't highly this point adequately, in an effort to keep recruitment numbers up maybe?). Certainly on the airman side there is anecdotal evidence of considerable numbers trying to get posted after trade training to the base nearest to their original home town. Perhaps in some ways this is understandable, that is where their friends/relatives all still live. However, the sense of adventure, desire to see the world, etc, seems to be less alive today than in the past.

I have no solid numbers to back up the comment above, just numerous comments I have both heard personally and read on other forums from some of the "old hands". I'm not trying to pass on some "grumpy old man" comment, or "dis" the youth of today, just offering up an observation that I consider to be genuine.

It is also interesting to note that formal RAF policy seems to be going towards providing "regional stability" for RAF personnel, perhaps in recognition of trends, such as wives working, the desire for stability of childrens education, etc. No doubt it is also seen as a long term cost saving measure - less requirement for CEA, disturbance allowance, military married accommodation (as people are more likely to buy in a n area they think they will be in for the medium/long term), etc.....