PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europilot Selection Day
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2001, 22:15
Capt.Biggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spoken to the boss at EPST earlier this morning, I found out some interesting points that you should all know about.

Phase one (they like phases) is the compass test. This is simply a hand/eye coordination test on either wed/thurs next week. For those who pass that test there is then a full days interviews and testing (phase two naturally) on the day following the compass test you sat. Then on Sat next week, there is a simulator test for all who have passed the previous 2 phases. Then those that have passed all three tests will be offered the places. There are unlimited places, for all that pass, or no places if none pass. Keeping up? (Pass rate in Holland is about 10-12%)

Then you take out a loan of $88,000 from a dutch bank. You will pay approx 8% for the first two years, then you have to re-negotiate for a further 15 years upon completion of the course. I'm informed that this is typically 5 - 6%. The only plus side of this, is if you are dropped from the course, or cannot keep up, you are not liable for the repayment of the loan, even upto the last week.

You'll be training along side 7 other EPST students and 8 BA students plus maybe 2 - 4 self funders. At some point EPST will select the best of the best to transfer to the BA system. The rest will continue and should get 6 months placement with an airline which may or maynot be extended for another 2 years.

Now back to the bad news.

Phase 1 £40
Phase 2 £250
Phase 3 £300

Total = £590 without definite placement.

I'm currently doing the ppl, and will have finished before 12th Sept. (course start date). This will count for little if anything at all as it is an integrated course. Even the amount I would have to borrow would stay the same.

Conclusion: Thanks but no-thanks EPST. Too much money, and too many variables out of my control. Modular even at Oxford is about 10 grand less than this!

CB