PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 08:42
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auraflyer;

I've worked with the images a bit to bring out greater detail. Unfortunately the highlights have no detail at all and just "gray down" so I've left them as is.

As suggested I think we're looking at the left wing aileron mounts in the above photo.

In the same image, but on the right in the dark background may be the slat tracks and perhaps some of the anti-ice plumbing:

In the following image of the right wing, looking forward, I now wonder if the flap track to the right of the photograph is the #2 track on the right wing, and where the engine pylon was is just to the left where the horizontal "V" is in the skin-join, and the where the #1 flap track was is just to the right of the gear.

I believe this after examining a number of drawings and suitable photographs; - the distance from the MLG to the still-visible flap track is too long for that track to be the #1. If true, it means the pylon is completely missing along with the main wing box forward of the rear spar to which the rear trunnion of the gear is fastened. The rivet and fastener detail is over-exposed in this area and the detail is difficult to bring out.

In fact it is apparent that all the lighter structure forward and aft of the wing box is separated...all flight controls etc and their support structures are all that remain.

In the following image, (which I have rotated 90deg CCW), of the left MLG, if we look at the retract cylinder, it can be seen that it, and the side brace have sheared from their fittings on the MLG strut. Also, the small uplock pin near the bottom of the strut (two small 'ears') is missing, lending some support to the notion that the gear broke away and began its extension at impact, as discussed.

Two re-worked images of the engine to bring out greater detail: