PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai / UAE
Thread: Dubai / UAE
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 06:18
Red Dragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to receive a payrise for two years in a row is disappointing of course and the rise in cost of living needs to be addressed, but I think that that in itself can generate a feeling of low morale. Making the decision as to whether it's worth staying here is an individual one and everyone has different circumstances. But I'm sure that for many, when it comes time to crunch the numbers it will nearly always make sense to stay on what we're on here. When you factor in the allowances that we're paid here, thereby affording us far greater disposable income, it usually makes the decision for you.
Getting pissed off with the place and leaving because we didn't get a payrise will only come back to bite you and once the harsh realities of living back in the home country start to kick in and the memories of what you used to be able to do here, it wouldn't be long before you reconsider and want to come back. I've seen it many times.

Aside from the Nationals of course, this isn't home for any of us and none of us have to work here. We're all mercinaries at heart and rightly or wrongly we're here for the money. Of course it's only part of the equation - there's family, kids and quality of life which may be better back home. The situation now is very different to the pre-2008 one. The cost of living has increased there's no doubt about that, but we're far better off now then we were then and for that reason I don't see a line of people queueing at the exit.