PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 03:37
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was a a test airframe only, although in circa 1985/86 we did look at modifications that would bring her up to production aircraft standard. The modifications required to the powerplant alone (mainly engine and intake control logic and management) were truly massive, as well as other things like engine instrumentation and other systems' control management. The total cripler however was the cost of a TOTAL RESKIN of the forward fuselage section (Component 30, made at Brooklands). The production series aircraft had a thicker skin here, and we were told that the CAA insisted on this being done as part of any conversion to airliner standard. Costs of around £30 were being banded about for bringing the entire airframe up to production aircraft standard. Also of course she had an MEPU when flying rather than a HYRAT for emergency power and of course a large flight test observers position.
I worked on 202 personally quite a bit during the mid to late 70's, but she never remotely 'felt' like a real production aircraft. Even aircraft 204 (G-BOAC) in her pre-route proving days was a radically different beast. (The OAC post route-proving modifications although at system level were quite extensive, these were miniscule in comparison to the differences between 202 and what we like to call 'the REAL Concorde'. Don't get me wrong, 202 did some absolutely stirring work in terms of route-proving and certification trials, and the restoration done at Brooklands is most impressive indeed, but she is and always was, nothing other than a test aircraft. She was no more a production airframe in reality than the pre-production aircraft 102, and I'm afraid that anyone thinking that she is anying other than this is truly deluding themselves my friend.
I'm sorry if this reality is dissapointing steve-de-s, but if you want to see a Concorde that is truly representative of what the aircraft was really all about I suggest that you pop up to either Manchester or East Fortune. (The only airliner museums in the UK now open to public viewing). The Manchester exhibit in particular is truly superb and beautifully kept by some great people, and shows you exactly what Concorde, THE AIRLINER was actually like, rather than just seeing a test specimin. (A superb specimin 202 indeed she was, but this is ALL she ever was, a test specimin).

Best regards
Dude

Last edited by M2dude; 17th Apr 2011 at 06:09.