PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit joining the Pakistan Air Force
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 01:19
WillingPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRENNAPS
WP,

If your decision is going to be based on the fact that you want to fly military jets and you feel you have a real chance in the Pakistani Air Force and little chance in the Royal Air Force, then go for it my boy! You only live once. You can sort the rest of your life out later.

Also, you will probably get the opportunity to fly a greater selection of aircraft and not bound by the OTT Health and Safety rules that now exist in the UK; so you will probably have a lot of fun.

I wish you all the best mate.
Thank you so much. I love this kind of support from my fellow Britmen.

Trim Stab
It is not possible to "abandon" British citizenship. You can surrender your British passport (which may be what the Pakistan authorities require you to do) but you can't stop being British...

Should you wish to apply for another British passport later in life, you will be treated exactly the same as any other Brit who has not held a passport for several years. You will just need to provide relevant documents to prove British citizenship, and then you will be issued with a new passport.

I have four passports from four different countries - all legitimate. Sometimes I let my UK passport lapse if one of the others is current and more relevant to my current state of residence. If I subsequently need to renew my UK passport, it is very easy to do so - just send in a photocopy of the old one, up to date witnessed photos and a cheque.

As far as I know, the only developed country that allows its citizens to formally renounce citizenship through a legal process is the USA. Some US citizens choose to do so in order to avoid paying US taxes, which are levied on all US citizens wherever they may be resident.
Cool. That sounds great. It's not our fault to be honest. I don't know which party will fix this country.

denlopviper
getting in the Pakistan Air Force isnt easy, for one making through the initial selection will be a major challenge for you with them knowing you have given up your previous citizenship. remember there is a serious tussle going on with the west and Pakistan right now. they might reject you purely on the basis of having to avoid the addition background and security clearances. after all there are thousands that apply, so PAF is never short of applicants.

out of the thousands, around 100 make it to the academy. nearly half of which get washed out in the first year at the academy alone. less than 15% of the original course graduates from the academy. out of these around 70% make it fast jet training.

its a long shot, but just keep in mind what you have to give up in order to just be eligible to apply.

good luck
Thanks, any supportive advice? I think you have to give it up before you join and not apply?