PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2011, 16:25
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Smoke and Mirrors

Breakfastburrito at #993:

Future prospective cadets will need to be cunning to find out the information. BB stated quite clearly at the inquiry that the cadets would be earning AUD $67K - this is correct until they have the required 500 hours, then they will be shipped off to NZ. BB stated is NZ is where they want them to be. Then, the NZ $42K contract comes into play. So technically he is correct, over a short time scale.
Well no, he deliberately misled the Senate Inquiry and the quoted $67K was in NZD! How did he mislead them - well, they asked about the NZ so-called cadet contract rate which clearly stated NZD$42,000 for a guaranteed 150 hours per quarter and he told them a different figure based on 850-950 hours per year without clarifying the difference. They could never have made that rate of effort because they had been stood down, coincidentally (?) at 150 hours for the first quarter. They were paid ONLY the guaranteed rate of NZD$10,500 plus allowances (another story!!) for that quarter.

Only after the discomfort of the Senate Inquiry was there a scramble to draft the "always intended" Australian contract, separate from the Jetstar EBA.

Further, a real AUD contract can be plonked down in front of the future cadet, without telling him that this will be for the first 500 hours only.
Believe me, there is nothing about the profferred contract that I would describe as "real" - its term and conditions, while significantly better financially, reflect the integrity of the management that was so exposed in the preceding weeks. It truly shows BB's adherence to the debt bondage principles that gave birth to the so-called cadet scheme in the first place.

I understand that the management has stated that no future pilot employee will be employed under the EBA...

Hopefully, these folks will continue to attract the adverse publicity they deserve.

Stay Alive