PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somebody else must still love being in the RAF as much as me...
Old 16th Apr 2011, 12:29
Mahogany_Bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just come to this thread please allow me a moment of Pashto pedantry. As has been mentioned before, the issue of spelling Pashto words in English is caused by variations in transliterating (ie representing Pashto script with the English alphabet) one language to another.

Taliban/Taleban = طالبان

In order to better match the Pashto pronunciation it would actually be better rendered as Talibaan (to rhyme with barn) but we don't seem to like the long "a" - Kaabul becomes Kabul to westerners. There isn't even a single western transliteration for the word Pashto, پښتو Pashto, Pashtu, Pushtu, Pakhto and Pukhto are all used dependent on the dialect used by the native speaker.

Enough digression and back to the original question. I agree with the sentiment that when the RAF is good it is very good and that the converse also applies. For me at the moment the good outweighs the bad and as long as that continues I'll be happy to stay in. That said, I think that for me that tipping point will come sooner rather than later.

MB

Last edited by Mahogany_Bomber; 5th Apr 2013 at 00:17.