PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jade Cargo
Thread: Jade Cargo
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2011, 09:28
skyryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jade upgrades

I would agree with most of what been said here. There are a couple of things that haven't been mentioned. Let's face it with 130 pilots and six aircraft, it will be a LONG time to upgrade unless they add to the fleet. Also right now, as far as I know, no one has made the transition from F/O to Capt. All the upgraded pilots are from the PICC ranks with prior PIC time in "large" aircraft. Unless there is some major changes in the CAAC regs and interpretation of those regs it will remain an uphill struggle to move from F/O to Capt.
They have just released a "new" Employment Agreement, and I suspect that all new pilots will have to sign it. If I were offered an contract, I would read carefully the agreement with the point of view that every thing will be done to enhance the company's position as it pertains to the agreement. In other words, it will be interpreted to the company's benefit in every way. I have also heard that they are doing everything possible to not offer commuting contracts at this time, so be aware of that as well.
There is a new CEO, but he has only been in place for 2 weeks, so hard to know what he will bring to the table. I know the article about seeking additional capital has caused some concern, but I am under the impression that the current shareholders have infused the desired amount of capital into the company recently.
There have been a number of F/O's resign recently because of the inability to upgrade, and I suspect that trend to continue in the near future. Many of them have recently completed the 3 year contract and are moving on to places they will have a shot at Capt in the forseeable future.
Now for the good part. The guys are great to work with and it is a diverse group, the job itself is not an easy one, because they tend to go to the max hours/sectors allowed and there a lot of long days.
I do suspect they will be screening for a while as they continue to lose pilots to other operators. The monetary advantage Jade offered 3-4 years ago is eroding quickly as others offer contracts with as much money and better (sic) working conditions.
The earlier poster is correct, the screening is not something to be taken lightly, and while part of it is not something you can study for, it is important to be ready to take the CAAC ATPL exam. I would also say that given the recent scrutiny of logbooks, etc. one should have their paperwork in good order and be able to "certify" their experience. I hope this helps give a little perspective, but remember it is only my opinion.