PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air pollution in HKG
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2011, 15:45
Flying Phoenix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roxy C.

I lived in Hong Kong for close to 11 years. At first I was sick a great deal, probably because I partied to hard. After settling down, getting married, and having children the issue of the air quality (an oxymoron if there ever was one) in Hong Kong came front and center. I lived on a steady diet of Actifed and Flixonase in order to keep my sinusitus at bay. It worked for the most part, but there were times that the pollution was too great for my system to cope. Then there my kids. As soon as they were old enough they too lived on a steady supply of cough syrups and sinus medicine. Not a day went by when they weren't taking one or the other. The final straw was when we had to take one of them for a chest x-ray, only to be told by the doctor that he was going to be asthmatic - both of them were in fact going to be. So we moved to Thailand, the land of smiles and clean air (not Bangkok of course) and the symptoms for all of us disappeared immediately. Amazing how quickly things turned around.

Not everyone is going to experience the same effects from the poor air quality in Hong Kong. However, if you or your children are susceptible to air pollution it is not a great place to live.