PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re Hawley / Starve Acre
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2002, 10:28
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, there's a thing. It appears to be on the 1:25000 OS Map. If I'm looking at the right location it has two runways approx 26/08 which is still very visible, and a much more overgrown 13/31. The site being just to the N of the 100m spot height near Hawley Hill. The bad news is I can't find anything at all about this. It's very unusual for an Army strip to have a hard surface and this initially led me to wonder about wether it might have been a Dummy location but it's really much too close to congested areas that would have existed in the WW2 period and some pretty important Army targets also. As there appears to be no active records of the site my best guess is that it does have some Army connection being, as it is, close to Sandhurst and Bagshot. I'd suggest an email to the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop who have a large number of documents in their archives. Their email address is [email protected] I'll continue looking after getting back from work but I'm getting close to the end of my research info.

Spiney.