PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2011, 10:08
herbie5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaz
As one who has flown 13 different Harrier types as was very close to the old girl before she was sadly withdrawn from us, I can offer the following.

Cap Eb testing which had begun and was to be integrated included Brimstone and in a mixed configuration too which is still unmatched by any current UK airframe.

Additionally, I have seen the GR9/ SS report too and anyone who says SS cannot go onto Harrier is being somewhat economical with the truth.

The point is we have moved on from SDSR debates. Gr4 was kept but the truth about what GR9 could carry if it was decided it should do so was swept under the carpet. Both Brimstone and SS could go onto Harrier and those in town know it too as I know the report was given to the seniors during the review. I for one minute am not saying that GR9 is better than GR4 I just get fed up with people saying it cant when clearly the research was done to say it can!

With respect to Typhoon and spiking for it, I agree with your comments but again get fed up with spin. The comments coming out lead you to believe that Typhoon is doing it all when it is not. Once fully integrated the system will provide a good a-g capability. Right now it is in its embryonic stages despite declaring a capability in 2009. It does not come close to Harrier or GR4 so lets not pretend it does and just come out and say it dropped and weapon spiked in. No harm in that just as you say. But the pressure to say it it is delivering in theatre must be huge on a programme that is late, over budget and of limited utility in the current crisis. It will have its day once all the integration is complete by which time it will be very good but at what cost and what other options could we have had! Hey ho support BAE at all costs!!!!