PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2011, 09:31
swordfish41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonar interpretation

Sorry to get back a bit late into this. I did say "hazard a guess," and it could be the object is the tail section, although I assumed that the swathe width was 700m, and that the altitude of the AUV was therefore much higher than 60m, suggesting that the object was also higher above the seafloor than auv-ee suggests. If it is the tail I expected to see an equaly large object at the western end of the debris trail, and I was influenced in this by mm43's graphic of the likely break up of the fuselage at impact.I disagreed with mm43's view that the the debris would be fairly well confined, and I was wrong about that too. However the two Remus vehicles will have completed the photo mosaic now and BEA will know just where everything is. I've followed all the threads from this incident from day one, and incredibly fascinating its been. Throughout I have had at the back of my mind a story told me by the Chief Lab Technician on Odin Finder. He was engaged to search for an RAF Jaguar that crashed in the Adriatic. The pilot had ejected quite late, and confidence was high that the position of the aircraft on the sea floor was known. After no trace was found he fielded the usual questions, "Is your equipment working properly?" "Have your technicians missed anything?" with his own, "where do you want the ship to go now, north, south, east or west?" My granny told me when I lost something that it would be in the last place that I looked.