PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2011, 08:03
Gaz ED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top trumps!

21 years fixing and developing GR1/F3/GR4!

Christ, I need a rest.............

With regards to Typhoon "des or no-des" question, if the pod is carried and cleared, it is a relatively simple matter to integrate into the system (it was on GR4 - we even trialled SNIPER in a matter of days). That being the case - why shouldn't it be used? I cannot offer a definitive answer, but any self respecting trials organisation would not fly a functioning pod without trying to make it work - waste of a sortie. The austere A-G capability has been on Typhoon since 2009, the only reason not to self-des would be to let GR4 do it - as they have more experience in the role. No-one moaned when Buccs were designating for GR1 in the first (dependent on viewpoint) unpleasantness in the GAFA. Equally no-one trumpeted the success of TIALD flying out of Tabuk. If you base your arguments/discussions/opinions on what you glean from our beloved media you are on a hiding to nothing.

I was sad to see Harrier go, but the lack of SS carriage ultimately killed it.

And I still can't find any mention of Harrier firing brimstone apart from the wrongly reported Guardian article. Then again I haven't worked on Harrier and am basing my assumptions on what I learn from the media.