PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This happened yesterday in Guatemala
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2002, 03:08
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi S-P & H. Joe:

I am with you there, about judging the pilot on this specific accident without knowing all the facts.
BUT, it is pretty obvious what happend: a load of skydivers - a thrill-ride to altitude - someone in the way - dead.

If that transport operation would have been accomplished in a different manner, the man on the ground NEVER would have come near enough to any rotorblade ever.
No matter what the very details were or are.

Obviously the pilot did his stunts with the blessing of the FAA, or the legalsystem in the states is getting ridiculous.

As stated on this thread, the pilot violated at least 3 FARīs. You do not do that without a waiver in front of lawenforcement and FAA personal.

I mentioned here and on other threads, that the interest in such cases should be to learn and avoid for all (as you said S-P....).

Well:

a) You shall not do antics close to the ground if you can not see the necessary area 100% (no hiding places for anyone!!!)

b) Do NEVER bank more than 30 degrees close to the ground - it is civil life now, the war is over!!

c) If your pax need a thrill, they DO NOT NEED IT THAT CLOSE TO THE GROUND, period - whatever they say.
You may be the best, do your personal thrillrides with you alone.
If you carry someone along, back off to a regime that gives you a minimum of maneuvering space "in case".

I hope we will find out the hard facts on this case sometime, to see how close we got with assumptions and hearsay.
But for me some of the fotos give already enough credit to the case (very low + 45 degrees or more bank), the photos being specifically from that machine-pilot combo............

I mentioned, I will not judge the pilot on base of this forum, however he will have to live with the fact and he knows best, HE could have avoided it............no matter his experience, precision, etc. On this occasion, common sense was forgotten somewhere else...

3top

PS: Someone told me once (regarding to street traffic...) when I was learning to drive: YOu always have to drive like everyone else is an idiot on the road - speak: be prepared for the most incredible stupidities in traffic - IT WORKED FOR ME!

I APPLY THE SAME TO AIR TRAFFIC - IT STILL WORKS!!

I am not saying, everyone is an i****, MOST are not, but some ARE......!

Last edited by 3top; 21st Sep 2002 at 03:16.