PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yes to third runway at LHR!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 21:21
Sir George Cayley

IMO the parallel RWY at LHR decision should wait until a full open skies policy is in place across all UK airports.

I say this because the 3 London Airports traffic figures are artificially inflated by regional pax denied point to point services from their airports because of government bilateral agreements, BAA policy and a certain airline's parochialness.

As an example take the UK - Japan air service agreement. Correct me if I'm wrong but Heathrow is the only airport offering direct services (BA, VS & JAL). Given the extent of Japanese investment throughout the UK in Scotland the Northwest and Wales is it right that all flights from these areas begin with a domestic flight to LHR?

If one were to subtract all the UK regional pax forced to use the London Three plus all the intercontinental transfer pax funnelled through London due to bilaterals, what effect would that have on the BAA's growth predictions.?

For years Aviation Ministers and BAA Chief Execs have stated that Heathrow is the airport of choice for passengers but funnily enough I've never met a traveller that agrees!

I believe there will be more jobs created for both pilots, cc and ground support staff through enhancing the availability of services from the whole of the UK not through centralisation at the capitals airports.

Sir George Caley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyone's door