PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lagos Abuja Kano PHC
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 19:21
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually Zazoo, whilst agreeing with you that there is a radar in Port Harcourt, I wouldn't say it's a good one. Let's say it was a good one once, but my information is that it's beyond economical repair. I remember being told last year that Port Harcourt was to be supplied with a new radar as part of a deal with an Italian company and that it would be working before the end of (last) year, once the radars at Lagos, Abuja and Kano were all working satisfactorily. As you say, the wheels in Nigeria grind exceedingly slowly and I'm sure that it will be installed eventually. Let us hope that its installation will coincide with controllers properly trained in its effecient and effective use.
I can still remember flying into Port Harcourt when the only airport was the NAF base and what is now the NAF officers mess was the passenger terminal. Things have improved a bit since those days!
Incidentally what's happening with the closure of the NAF base at Port Harcourt to civil traffic now? I guess the NCAA have a point about its closure to civil traffic as it has no officially approved instrument procedures and it was very unsafe when fixed wing aircraft were flying in there in the harmattan supposedly SVFR in visibilities of only 1200 metres. Still it must be hurting the 4 operators who were operating into there commercially to now have to compete with the likes of Kabo operating into Port Harcourt international.