PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The BA Scope Clause.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 17:45
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cu
Perfect solution, and I have said the same thing many times myself. But do you think the huge ranks of BA managers are going to implement something that downsizes their own importance or numbers, look at the arrogance of even building an office like Waterside on acres of prime land near LHR. This is what I mean about working for a huge outfit rather than a profitable small or family outfit. At EOG we were paid 30% less than the Pilots BA paid GO Pilots(their low-cost outfit). I would have been happy to have been seconded to GO and get a 30% pay rise. It didn't happen...........BRAND Management. We are told we don't have the big Picture, know the intricasies of cross-accountancy, etc.

Jet2
Sorry can't remember but it amused me all the same to think even to this detail our lives have been Negotiated.

MM
The 80% share price premium to which I referred was not BA's share price, but BRAL's when BA bought them, they paid 80% more than the price the BRAL shares were frozen at(so BA paid 180P for every 100P worth of shares). It is unfortunate for you that your owners sold out, and no-one is denying you were a great profitable firm before.....but sold out they did, so this past is largely irrelevant from here on in. All the rest of the frustrations you mention are the very things BA Pilots have been complaining about for the past 20years or so. We didn't create it or ask for it, and it certainly doesn't help that every other Pilot in the UK accuses BA Pilots for BA's problems. Whilst we work just as hard, have doubled productivity every 4years for decades, and we watch the low-cost Pilots getting paid in 1-2years what we get after building seniority of 12years+ in BA. With your short time in the company you can probably start to see it's not our fault, just as much as it's not yours. It's not my attitude, I am just a cog like it or not, it's beyond my control. BALPA's militancy protects us little cogs from how management would really like to treat us..........Yes much worse and probably for no improvement in profitability but maybe a Waterside in New York, or a different tailfin design, etc, etc.

The only chance we stand as tiny cogs in the huge BA meatgrinder is by giving BALPA as much fire-power as possible. You have to stop thinking small scale firm of flexing and bending over, and a bit of give and take, because BA relentlessly come back for more only to **** it out elsewhere. BALPA and BA Pilots are not the enemy, we just KNOW from DECADES of experience the BA Ops against Pilots, and are constantly trying to plug chinks in the BA Pilot Career armour. If you don't believe me now, you will in a few years down the road. Better to get that healthy glow of cynicsm now, it will save you years of frustration.

Last edited by airrage; 20th Sep 2002 at 17:58.