PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young flyer
Thread: Young flyer
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 13:45
skysoarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Why not both!

My best advice to you, after going through that torment myself a few years back, is to do some sort of higher education beyond A-levels. i.e. Degree, Hnd, etc. If all goes wierd then you have a backup ... potentially a nice career in aviation engineering perhaps? or software systems for the flight deck / testing etc. Both pretty well paid and you can fly in your spare time or even after work!

I went to uni (Cranfield Uni, Shrivenham branch) to study Software Eng. There was a gliding club 200yds from my front door so guess where all my spare time was spent! Others spent money on beer/fags, I spend it on flying ... which is more worthwhile?

BUT ... BEYOND ALL THAT AND ABSOLUTELY MORE IMPORTANTAATBLY ... SO IMPORTANT THAT I CAN'T SPELL IMPORTANTLY! ... GET THAT CLASS 1 MEDICAL NOW! NOW! NOW NOW NOW! The Best £400 you will ever spend for Piece of Mind! Book it today!

CAA, Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex
England
RH6 0YR

Tel: 01293 573700

You've got plenty of years ahead ... get as much qualifications behind you now so that if you fail a medical somewhere down the line you're not left in the lurch! You'll have more time to fly than may seem apparent now - I make the time! Using sticky back plastic and shreddies!

Good luck!

Graeme Scott
[email protected]