PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are possible first paid flying jobs?
Old 20th Sep 2002, 10:33
MAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following in the steps of Reddo here is my story of the pursuit of that elusive first job. I hope it provides some inspiration for all you guys/gals who are looking to pursue this career, are pursuing it or are stuck in that all too familiar job rut.

Please bear in my mind that I am not an exceptional pilot, Einstein nor the offspring of a 'chief pilot'. Just a regular Joe who perhaps drinks too much. My original plans included instructing or working in a parachute club but sometimes the dice rolls your way.

5 yrs ago after a working a summer in the UK I returned with enough pounds to finance my PPL in my home country, Oz. By now I was hooked.

I returned to the UK and proceeded to work 2 jobs in a 6month work/1 month fly cycle. Hour building stateside and studying the ATPL correspondence. I am modular trained at schools you probably have never heard of. I worked and studied my butt off and my missus was supporting but none too happy!

It took the best part of 4 years to complete 'everything' barring MCC. Completely self financed and less than 300hrs to my name. Sound familar? Date MAY 2001. Well imagine my surprise when within 5 weeks after passing sim rides and interviews I find myself signing a contract to fly 757's, start date Oct. 2001. Too good to be true? EXACTLY. Moving onto Sept. 11 and the course is cancelled and offer of employment retracted.

So I start the cv bombardment again but this time I add the words 'prepared the work in operations to gain experience within your company'. 2 days later the phone rings, small interview and Im employed within the aviation environment for a small corporate jet company. Date: Nov. 2001.

Well the pay is rubbish but the experience is invaluable. Completing flight plans, plogs, pilot briefs, organising ambulance flights and 'good ol' night call. Time passes on, my IR lapses etc etc. I am not earning enough to stay current. Roll on July 2002. The company takes on, out of the blue, a new a/c and need four new pilots. Who gets the call up? Me. Right place, right time.

So now I find myself F/O flying business jets with a great company, plenty of time off and the missus is happy. At the same time I have met many great guys/gals within the GA environment who deserve a break a lot more than me. They all hang in there and thats what impresses future employers. RESILIENCE!

MAX