PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industry Observations - Pilot Shortage Coming or Not?
Old 19th Sep 2002, 21:04
Java

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for bringing this one back to the top, but in the light of another thread over on the general aviation forum by 'Diamond', I wanted to see if anyone wanted to add anything.
This other person 'Diamond' seems to think that there is a shortage of G II and G I instrutors. They also said that student numbers are down and one contributing factor is the cost of learning to fly.

Maybe there will not be a shortage of pilots in the next year or two, but if student numbers continue to drop the way it has been reported, then surely in the next 4 to 5 years there could be a real problem with pilot numbers. Especially if more young people opt for uni or tafe courses in areas such as IT, and even accounting and business finance where there have been shortages in recent years.

I know flying is great, but are the harsh realities of life such as financial security going to take its toll on the aviation industry. I know you say keep trying etc, etc ,etc but eventually you have to say sometimes, yeah I love to fly, but hey I have got other responsibilities and I have to be realistic.

I just seem to think that this industry seems so different to 10 years ago when I first flew, society has changed, economies have changed. Aviation is facing greater pressures than ever before, I really hope there is a future for this industry, but I fear with global pressures, more competitive markets and CASA more people maybe put off this as a viable career.

What's your thoughts.

Cheers

Java