PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Flight Instructors are afraid of tailwheel airplanes?
Old 19th Sep 2002, 19:39
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40 Y.F.

Hmmm...

You must be just putting me on here?

A Cessna 150 tailwheel conversion " must " have the main gear moved foward. Otherwise it will not sit on its tail. Unless of course you added sufficient weight in the tail to change the C of G to allow it to sit tail down, then the thing couldnt be flown.

A cessna 150 when converted to the tailwheel configuration will require an STC to be legal to fly.

There were two versions of the C150 Texas Taildragger conversions. The first used the origional main gear legs and when moved foward the airplane sat at to low a nose attitude for proper tailwheel handling because it was not in the fully stalled attitude with the tail on the ground. They changed the kit and sent new longer gear legs which solved the problem. There is at least one other STC for a tail wheel conversion but it was never certified for spins.

Oh, by the way the Texas Taildragger STC is no longer availiable.

I have a 1976 C150 Aerobat that I converted to the Texas Taildragger with the long gear legs. By the way I also did the conversion myself so have some idea of what it is I am telling you.

When the conversion is complete you have a very pretty little play toy that can do basic aerobatic manouvers and is legal to teach on as it is still a Cessna A150M with a STC to cover the conversion.

As to x/wind landings with a tail wheel airplane I would never ever attempt such a dangerous landing, as we all know tail wheel airplanes can only be landed into wind.

Cat Driver: