PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Flight Instructors are afraid of tailwheel airplanes?
Old 19th Sep 2002, 19:06
40 yearflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horses for Courses

Chuck,
There is an innocent looking C152 - could be 150- doing the rounds in UK. Last time I heard it had a total time of 4000 hours and it was built in about 1959.

You are invited to try this tailwheel conversion on a day when the XWC is 8 kts (not more - not less ) from the left.

Land it in a three point attitude.

I'll be watching, as will be hundreds who have been caught out by this little monster.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that as you climb out in whichever direction you come to a halt you might just notice that in the conversion the undercarriage had been left in it's factory built postion - i.e. not moved forward.

Spins well -as it would do with the CG so far back. Cannot get the tail up at 35 kts in the takeoff run as the flight manual suggests.

I always wanted to get my hands on the Antonov 2 tailwheel withy 1.000 BHP radial engine. Saw it land a few times with such grace and at about 35 kts. It also seemed to want to stay on the ground pointing in the right direction