PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are possible first paid flying jobs?
Old 19th Sep 2002, 13:52
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Just about to start flying a Shorts 330/360 in the UK.
How'd I get here?
It begins many years ago in Oz.
Worked many jobs to pay for the licence and mortgage.
Eventually got a CPL, M/E CIR, Night VFR, and a grade 3 instructor rating. Had about 400 hours by then. (I was ripped off-not happy about that + did a bit of private flying in my then boyfriend's cherokee. ie paid for fuel only)
Managed to get a part time instructor's position while working full time and studying part time (ie every night at tech) for the ATPL's.
WHile I didn't get a lot of flying in, ie only 30 hours! I did learn an awful lot about customer service and working in an aviation environment. I worked hard and got a good reference.
Realised that this was a great way of going no where fast. (it was not long after the pilots dispute and there were very few jobs around)
Quit my job, left the bloke behind, grabbed a travel buddy and headed to the North West of Oz from Sydney. (About 5000km drive). (Age 28)
Waited in a small town called Kununurra for a job. Got a fill in job washing twotters and bandits for a charter company up there. Did that for over 4 months. Kept my flying skills current. Very important. Did that job to the best of my ability and made many useful contacts. Very important too
After some time, managed to score an interview, pass the check ride and I was offered a job flying C206's and C207's doing scenics and govt charter.
Lots of hours later and after reaching 1000 hours I got a go on the twins (Partenavia). That led to another job in Broome flying Coastwatch Islanders.
I did this for a couple of years and slowly went mad. Unfortunately my IFR skills deteriorate and I pay a huge cost.
Crashed and burned my first attempt to get a Dash 8 endorsement. Now out of work. 3300 hours, mainly bush flying.... what next?
Grit my teeth and ring my contacts.
Ended up with a job in Cairns flying bandits and twotters as an FO. Perfect, starts getting my 2 crew, IFR skills back up.
(Cairns btw is 2900km from Sydney, that's where my family is).
Do this for about 18 months and then get a job in Sydney flying Dash 8's for a Qantas regional.
Things didn't work out how I would have liked so it was time to reassess my options.
Have UK passport will travel. Sold the house and every thing else (bar the Ducati) and headed on over.
Battled my way through those lovely JAR exams and tried to forget about home in Oz.
Passed the mongrel things and then did a type rating on the Shed this year. (instead of an IR)
Took a job in Ops with the night freight mob because I could see that it would help me significantly with learning the UK system.
It worked. (Age 37)

Upshot of all of this.
Be prepared to work hard at ANY job.
Be prepared to shift 1000's of miles. If you won't, someone else will to get those first 1000 hours.
Look at the big picture, a sideways step is better than no step in many cases.
Make and keep your contacts.
Keep as current as possible.