PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are possible first paid flying jobs?
Old 19th Sep 2002, 12:11
AMEX

From FlyingForFun
Don't you need 700 hours or something stupid like that before you can do this?
and

Well, 700 or 1000, P1 or TT, doesn't really matter because it doesn't answer chocksaway's questions about first jobs, does it?
Am I wrong or did YOU ask a question I took the time to answer ?

Also, taken from Laurie's post

from people involved in the air-taxi / general aviation / turboprop world who are prepared to share their experiences of breaking into their first regularly paid flying jobs
Well FlyingForFun must have been wrong in assuming that readers would guess how I broke into my first regularly paid flying job (i.e Instructing).

Guess what ? I began by leaning to glide
Wanna know how became a tug pilot or do you see a connection with the first paid job mentioned above ?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic but I thought that spelling my past experiences in order would give some sort of idea of how it can be done, which incidentally, I considered to be an answer to Laurie's post and chocksaway who asked.
to know what options there are for a first flying job
Not being the most talented writer, may I suggest you to attend one of the Gatbash, hand me a Guinness and if you are still interested, ask me to tell you how I did it.

Crosswind Limits
That's a 1000 hours P1 hence most people joining us will have about a 1200 TT. I should also add that about 150 hours twin is a requirement (but a more flexible one).
FYI, many of about 70% of our guys have had an instructor background but a few of us have managed to get that in a different manner (see above).

As for the 700 hours TT to meet the JAR requirements, I am not sure it has been implemented yet (a matter of months I am sure). Not all hope is all gone (yet) for aspiring Single Pilot Air Taxi Wannabes (SPATW) since I believe our company tend to have a much higher hour requirement for that kind of job.

Couple of mates worked for other outfit and joined with 250 TT.
In good times 250 can take you anywhere from a seneca to a 757 so guys, keep trying, make sure your face is familiar in the eyes of ALL potential employers.

I found that the most difficutl thing to do, apart from saving money to keep the I/R and MEP current, was to be available at very short notice. Most people who work have often great difficulties in being available for the next days job, we sometimes have on offer.
The key is to be available at all cost (do a sicky) because once a small outfit like ours has found a guy that can take a job (RHS to begin with) at short notice, everytime they have such a requirement, the guy will petty much walk straight into the next permanent job that will come up.
Often I have heard people sayign they were available, then when you ring you get: Sorry... you should have told me earlier or next time perhaps.
Wrong answer, I ask as soon as I know which because it is the nature of the job, is usually at the last minute.
Usually though I ll give the guy two chances (when I haven't met the person before) but if I get turned down twice in a row then I ll get in touch with someone else.
It is a little bit unfair and harsh perhaps but most of time when I take someone along it is more a favor than a requirement.
On the other hand, once I have met and flown with that person then I can pretty much say that any opportunities I have to take that pilot with me, I ll do it. Much more fun that way