PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Portugal
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2002, 08:35
soares

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is amazing......I live in Carvoeiro......small wprld in fact.....

Well regarding your FAA license and medical.......you donīt really need a JAA one, but in order to fly solo on portuguese registered aircrafts (remember rules change accrording to countrys) you need it to be validated in Portugal, mainly in Lisbon. It is the only place where they will do it. (and it actually takes 3 weeks).

However if you just want to fly along the coast line purely for sight seeing, in order to keep it legal, you have to do it on the left side (you need a special permit to receive instruction) but it is fairly easy to arrange for that.

Let me know.....I think I can arrange for that easily...

About Lagos aerodrome......your are mentioning Gerry Breen. In fact ex RAF, but as a mechanic. He actually runs a microlight school there, but unfortunately does not have any airplanes for hire. Also keep in mind that the runway is (TDA) 500 m long and 5 meters wide, with plenty of obstroctuions on take-off (powerlines, trees, strong winds, houses, gas station and a convinient placed mountain 400m from the end of the runway which is impossible to fly over after take-off)

Well if you need something just give me a buzz

PS: the only PA28 that are in Portugal are located north of Lisbon, but you can easily rent plenty of cessnas. there arenīt any Seminoles in Portugal.

all the best!