PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The BA Scope Clause.
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2002, 07:23
Rider of the Purple Sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Latest Data

Recent trip over the water to the sim, courtesy of long haul, spoke with some other BA positioning crew. Longhaul view seems to be contrary to what has been posted here; they reckon a lot of their profitability is diverted to the feeder side of the business - that is, existing BA mainline shorthaul.
Guys wished us luck, and thought that the future of the entire Company probably lay in a reversion to the BOAC / BEA type of setup, and that obviously BEA never had been, and could not be as profitable as the old BOAC model. Hence, clearly, something in the cost structure had to be changed. Interestingly, as the conversation progressed, I found we agreed on most things, including the fact that the lower PILOT cost base of BACE really made little difference to the whole thing. However, what DID make a difference was the BACE Company setup. Our management may have difficulty working out whether to raise the toilet lid sometimes, but they are overall mega costless compared to BA. So, (he reckoned) the takeover of shorthaul would effectively cause a huge huge cull in Waterside, and basically eventual prosperity for all.
And all this from a BALPA member in BA as well!!

The only problem that I can see is I don't believe Waterside mangement would ever allow themselves to be made redundant - that has always been the problem. Oh well, nice to see some common sense and to meet some REAL BA people instead of the Mr Angries who seem to delight in winding everyone up for kicks.
Maybe I WILL bid for longhaul after all!