PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2011, 16:44
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, CONF iture;

Agree that things unfolded quickly and that time to consider and act was short. I think we're bumping up against the limitations of text and typing...we've flown the Airbus so I think we're meaning and understanding in the same way. In my post I just wanted to clarify that the N1s would not be in a low range regime as a result of selecting a turbulence speed even if the a/t disconnected right at that point. I'm assuming here that the idea behind the low N1 range was, the aircraft would lose speed and stall given that it was in Alt2 law, etc? ...if not, then I haven't, (not for the first time!), understood.

The notion behind WRG as I understood it from some reading and research was that it was not necessarily a physical "wiring" matter, but was a term used to describe a situation where the two FWCs could not independently interrogate the computers sending the original fault message(s) such that the "correlation" stage of fault determination could complete. The reason (again making great assumptions and interpretations here as I am not an engineer), that perhaps the timings of the message was not long enough for the process to complete.

Again, bearing in mind that the purpose of the [Computer fault] > FWS/FWC> CMC > ACARS process, (aside from warning the crew, etc), is to provide maintenance with sufficient information to understand the fault well enough to prepare for handling it at arrival, (ostensibly to avoid delays, or expensive repairs which don't fix the problem, etc).

As we're keenly aware, we're using the ACARS data in the same way investigators would use flight recorder information but with 26 text messages instead of 1800 or so aircraft and flight parameters and the voice/sound recordings. We're looking at minute entrails to see what produced the particular combination of messages in (roughly) the timings seen. The limitations are severe even with the photographs but I'll be surprised if, throughout the thread, some haven't come very close to what happened.

CONF iture, thanks for keeping me honest! Are you on the A330 now?

Last edited by PJ2; 14th Apr 2011 at 16:57.