PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC questions
Thread: ATC questions
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2011, 15:07
TAAMGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Questions

Canadian controllers have recently (Nov 2010, I believe) been prohibited from removing the 250kt restriction below 10T for the departures. Controllers could never unrestrict arrivals. The impetus for this speed restriction came at a time when there was more of a variation in performance between types operating in a TMA. Nowadays, with current surveillance technology, and a more consistent mix of performers in and out of the major airports, the issue is less significant. However, another consideration has been bird strikes; not that I personally think it valid. I assume the speed restriction was an attempt to mitigate the severity of damage resulting from a strike. With the fans adorning newer generation aircraft, I'm not sure how much weight should be given to this consideration.

I know that there is a fairly strong lobby in Canada to have this restriction removed, again, at least for departures. It gives controllers another few tools in the old tool bag to better tactically deal with traffic. Whether or not Transport Canada will write out of our regs remains to be seen. At least the old "unless otherwise authorized by ATC" should be brought back into effect. IMHO.