PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "U have a PPL?: No sponsorship for you mate!"
Old 25th Jul 2001, 13:12
schooner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Have to disagree with you there WGW, 'Handling the Big Jets' by D. P. Davies is a great read for us Wannabees. Yes it is technical but don`t you want to know stuff like that ? It explains all the basic principles of jet aircraft; why jet engines are more efficient at higher altitudes, why wings are swept, different types of aquaplaning, all good stuff like that. I have no doubt that that book improved my technical knowledge enough to get sponsored earlier this year . I wasn`t afraid of any technical questions they might have thrown at me.
I`m sure 'Flying the Big Jets' by Stanley Stuart is a good book but I can`t recommend Handling the Big Jets enough .

OK, sales pitch over. I have roughly 30 hours of my PPL done and have been advised not to fly much more before training in case I have learned too many "bad" habits that I might be unable to shake off. Still, might sneak in a few hours if the weather permits, would hate to forget what its all about

cheers all

Schooner