PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F3's over London yesterday
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2002, 19:43
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,725 Likes on 787 Posts
About 10 years ago, a Leeming F3 did do 700kts+ down Amble high street chasing an F111.

B*gg*r all claims on the day, but dozens the next day after the farmers heard in the pub. Height was below 250ft, exact height uncertain but one witness did say "I'm not sure, but both pilots were wearing white helmets".

Best claim was the retired railway man who phoned to complain that his retirement whisky decanter had fallen off the dresser and broken. He was assured the decanter would be replaced. 'B*gg*r the decanter", he said, "what about my whisky!!"

The naval lieutenant on an F3 tour did something similar when he did M1.3+ over Arbroath. He was delivering a jet to Leuchars to pick up another for Gulf War mods and wanted to see how fast he could get it. Got up to M1.9 when he was told to go Liner, crossed the coast coming back through M1.5 at FL400.

Fire engines raced from one end of the town to the other looking for the explosion. Phoned Buchan, but they were shut. Never thought to phone Boulmer. So they put it down to thunder. he never did get caught.

(err, confession, I was controlling both. (caught the F111 though. )

Last edited by ORAC; 19th Sep 2002 at 05:43.