PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighter's request for discussion about LZ video
Old 13th Apr 2011, 19:05
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jpalmos,

I was the chief pilot for a police/hems outfit and i can tell you now that the pilot would be looking for a new job if that was our cab.
There is no excuse for not being aware of these wires during a pre take off recce. Unbelievable poor airmanship.

Re the other point you raised. One should always land on the main road as a last option for various options and in no particular order:

blocking the traffic.
blowing debris (sometimes criminal evidence) around.
risk of damage to the helo from passing (enthusiastic) emergency service vehicles like fire trucks trying to get to the scene - thinking they can get past and under the disc.

The field he eventually landed in would have been the preferred LZ provided it was accessible by the ground troops and also safe to approach and depart from.

This video is an embarrassment to the industry, the pilot is a dork - sorry flying lawyer...you cant make mistakes like this in aviation, it could have wrapped itself round the tail rotor and the pilot could have lost control of the helo resulting in additional casualties/fatalities.

Off with his head I say