PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I buy an Enstrom 480 instead of a 280FX?
Old 13th Apr 2011, 12:07
FLY 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good 480, bought wisely with expert advice, for under £200k, could be one of the best helicopter bargains.

It feels like a real helicopter with proper controls, rotor head, undercarriage, RR turbine engine, tough build quality, safe predictable handling, spacious, versatile cabin, good performance and very secure and easy to handle, especially in windy conditions.

Running costs are sensible, and the only annoyance is the TT straps every 2 years (c.£6k).

So, why are 480s such a bargain? Hard to say, but partly down to preception, I suppose. R44s, 206s, 500s are more numerous and popular. Enstrom are seen as a smaller volume producer, so maybe buyers think factory support and maintenance are an issue (not true). Apparently Enstrom production is sold out until 2013, and they have always had a first class safety record.

The later 480'B' did incorporate quite a few useful improvements, but they start at £300k++, and are fundamentally the same.

Nice report from Dennis K, here LoopTV.Aero

And you should take up TOT's offer - I think there are 3 280s and 6 480s based at Gloucester.