PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MAS Director of Operations
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 10:30
rajamuda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing the right thing to avoid talent drain

I fully agree with wise old nasree; do something to atone for past injustices.

Many suns ago in my younger days as trainee f/o on the B734 I almost fell by the wayside. My fellow Melayu instructors gave up on me; I was allowed some last chance before being washed out. A young non Malay instructor took me under his wings ( I think the superiors pushed me to him, hoping that he would chop me off for good so taking the blame of washing out a young Malay talent ). Miraculously he showed me the ropes, refusing to give up on me sitting through the short night stops in KCH, KUA, BKI and MYY to bring me up to minimum standards to qualify for final line check. Thanks to his guidance and common sense approach to flying, I almost aced my final check much to the amazement of the TRE; but my interview even after my good performance in the final line check was a near disaster. I was pilloried, trashed and made to feel so small that I could have crawl into a hermit crab shell. However that non Malay instructor just told me to take it in my stride, ignore the " sikit atas punya melayu " as he put it and go on to bigger things.
Sadly he was a victim of the bypass fiasco, and became the first few to leave for greener pastures. What a loss for MAS and what a greater loss for the nation. With his training skills, great rapport with all the local staff by virtue of his impeccable command of english and malay he should have been a great asset. The only thing is that he was too proud and principled to capitalised on all his language and training skills to brown nose himself to higher positions or ingratiate himself to the management. I remember telling him that he should seek to be in the management, he replied that he feared that he would be made a tool by the management to screw fellow pilots. Sadly such talents got screwed instead.
So will the new broom do the right thing? I think not. Very sad, I don't have much hope. What can he do? The very crooks who benefited from the bypass thingy are sitting pretty in MAPA; so MAPA ain't gonna agree with management to do away with the bypass or pay bypass pay.