PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LVTO: RVR reduction to 125m
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 09:23
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole thing is complicated by the wording of the 'law' - there is nothing in anything quoted above that specifically FORBIDS pilot assessment of TD RVR. All that 'RVR' means is Runway Visual Range' - normally 'reported' or 'IRVR' but not necessarily. Most operators distinguish between 'RVR' and 'Reported RVR' - I cannot see that EUOPS do,

If individual companies choose to implement such a bar for <150m, that is fine and fits with my feelings, but what Zonnair is asking for is the RULE. There appears to be no clear rule - hence no doubt the multiple opinions from regulatory authorities and TREs. The addition of the words "For operations below an RVR of 150m, a reported RVR is required at all relevant points" perhaps? Also the question revolves around TD RVR ONLY, not mid and stop, which as I stated above OBVIOUSLY have to be provided and there needs to be no discussion of that. Pilots are, of course, still at liberty to decide that the ACTUAL TD RVR is insufficient despite an IRVR/Reported RVR 'OK' reading.

FD - from where did you derive '8 lights'?