PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Contact one", any one else say that?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 08:53
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I occasionally get 'Ready for departure' calls. My reply is usually 'Roger'.
And that's exactly what I don't like about A/G or AFIS setups.

As a pilot, I want to use the radio to convey safety information to other pilots. Where I am in the circuit for instance, or what my intentions are.

I know the A/G or AFIS operator couldn't care less, but because he/she is the "owner" of the frequency, it seems as if all my calls have to be directed at him and he's got to respond somehow. And indeed, to 9 out of 10 calls, the proper response from this operator is "roger".

I have flown in the US where fields have a CTAF frequency. There is nobody on the ground monitoring this, so it's clear that any transmission on this frequency is directed at other traffic near the field. In fact, you address the recipients as "XXX traffic" and if necessary you engage in air-to-air communications with another aircraft directly. It's much clearer that way.

As said earlier, my "ready for departure" call at an A/G or AFIS field is not intended for the operator. It's a chance for an aircraft on final to call "final" once again, just in case I haven't seen him. And if I have seen him, I'll add a "traffic on final in sight" or "behind the traffic short final".

I wish at an A/G or AFIS field we could make two different types of calls. The first type would be "XXX radio, bla bla bla" or "XXX information, bla bla bla" which makes clear that I need information from the operator. Runway in use, QNH, QFE, circuit direction, wind, taxi instructions, whatever. And the second type would be "XXX traffic, bla bla bla" which makes clear that I want to convey information to others near the field. My position in the circuit and my intentions for instance. That last type of call would be a "blind" call, with no response expected from anyone, unless my intentions interfere with the intentions of another aircraft. In which case I expect him to tell me his position and intentions, so that we can work out a plan.

I'll often see them sit for several minutes waiting for an instruction that they're never going to get.
That's just stupidity on their part. Not your fault. And something that's not going to change even if I got my wish. You'll never going to get a take-off clearance at an uncontrolled field no matter how the radio procedures are changed.