PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strong dollar, anyone looking to import?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 05:10
M14_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niceguysa45,

Depends exactly what type of aerobatic flying you are intending to do...
A mate and I are rebuilding a Pitts S1, it was airworthy when we got it but it hadn't flown for 15 years - it is in outstanding condition underneath, the wing fabric was shagged though.
When the US dollar sat at a smidge under 80c we bought quite a few parts that we needed for our machine out of the states, HP pistons, Raven Aileron kit and bearings plus some other bits and bobs. Definately a great time to take advantage of it!

Regarding the aeros machine, PM me if you like, but depending on your background you could buy a very nice Single seat Pitts and have a machine capable of advanced level for well under US$40K. However, a Super Decathlon has 2 seats, symmetrical aerofoils and inverted fuel and oil, I have only flown a Citabria, but those Super D's go amazingly well, great, great machine for training, and anything up to and including Intermediate aeros.
I am entertaining the idea of getting a two place machine in the next 12 months or so, for a bit of fun and to do ratings. Possibly a certified 2 seat Pitts, or a Christen Eagle II, we'll see. Whatever it is, it will be a biplane.