PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 00:18
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Info

Going back a few posts ... so here goes.

Enstroms G-BBHD. (I registered three in one day ... G-BBHC, G-BBHD & G-BBHE) ... HD was serial number 150which was sold new to the Christian Salveson group, but never used for crop spraying being a non-turbo 'A' model. G-BCOT, Serial No 199, WAS a turbo 28C and fitted out as a crop-sprayer using the Aginautics, 3600 36 ft boom spray gear and the Vicon hopper for dry work. This Enstrom had the sad distinction of being written off three times. First in the container while being shipped ex USA factory, second when poor David Voy lifted off at Southend with the three M/R push/pull rods connected up 120 degrees out of sinc. The third occasion was when our American pilot on a Septoriam spray task ducked under some 33KVs and suffered a 'flashover' which brought him down, but pilot was OK. Enstrom G-BBBR was also a sprayer having been converted from the 'A' spec to the Rayjay turbo charged 'C' model. I made a crop spraying publicity film in this one and shared the flying with that great New Zealander, Derek Alexander. RIP and Dave Cook. Enstrom G-BZZZ was the third Ag model again converted from serial 138, a 28A model originally registered G-BBBZ. (what a memory ... honest!) Bill Catchpole (the Bishop!) was our Chief Ag Pilot.

Now the pic listed at Tollerton as G-BEYA wasn't YA. It was one of the first non turbo 280 'Shark'' models to come into the country. (three in all.) actually registered G-BEYR (serial number 1064) which I first UK air tested for CAA certification on July 27 1977. G-BEYA was an original factory 280C turbo Shark sold to Guy Morton, a potato dealer in Norfolk. (Later a Jetranger.) Bless you Guy if you are still aviating. I displayed G-BEYA at the Noel Edmonds, Mr Blobby event at Cranfield circa mid 1980s. I well remember the occasion since half way thru' my display, the 'REDS' decided to taxi their Hawks on to the main runway directly beneath me as I was in the sequence.

'Bill' Bailey .... he of 'the DFM for bringing a Scout back home' in Aden after having his T/R shot off. We both go back to 1973 when he recklessly converted me from the fixed wing nonsense to all things rotary. So you can blame him for allowing me to acquire this mine of useless information.

Earlier items. Yes ... John Wakeham (Conservative) was a fiancial gentleman I met regularly, being a co-director of Spooner Aviation and Air Taxis International Limited, based at Shoreham. And sadly the as yet unamed pilot of G-BAKS was that nice guy, Julian Holdaway who frequently freelanced for my Starline Helicopters business at Biggin Hill. Lost just north of Goodwood on the downs at night.

Finaly, I purchased B206 G-BFND from Bill Warner, (the biggest brother) which I re-registered as G-BYSE for the Wise Group. Earlier, in that red hot summer of 1976, I turned up at Bill Warner's posh home on Hayling Island to demonstrate a non-turbo Enstrom Shark. Then had to get my selling boots on with his 20 stone alongside as we vertically lifted clear of the 75 ft trees with the OAT showing 103 degrees! He soon changed the Enstrom for the Jetranger of course.

I think that's all for the mo ... hope to be back with you all again soon. Keep them pictures coming.

Dennis Kenyon.

PS. All figs are dragged from the memory box (which is 80 next year!) ... so allowances please!