PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOC costs
Thread: AOC costs
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2011, 20:42
CelticRambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurcherman
When the CAA drew up it's regulatory framework and charges for AOC's, was it their intention to kill off the entry level Air Taxi/Air Charter operators.
If so, why?
If not, what are they going to do about it?
Originally Posted by Propellorpilot
I think that all this is dictated by EASA, so states that want to comply will follow through with this policy. Even para-jumping clubs need their aircraft on an AOC now in order to take the guys aloft.
I touched on this in a recent post in the Spectator's balcony. The EASA regs strike me as being heavily influenced by the French (and with only a few minor differences, the CAA AOC application outline is an almost direct translation of the DGAC one).

At the root of it all seems to be
Originally Posted by bingofuel
the old aviation saying,
" How do you make a small fortune in aviation?"

Start with a large one!!
The combined forces of EASA/FAR/CAA/DGAC/etc/etc/etc seem determined to keep both commercial and general avation as a very closed shop, issuing licenses to "outsiders" only in exceptional circumstances with the effect that the industry has been following the same money-losing management strategy for the last sixty years.

It is quite unbelievable that this old joke is still appropriate when the industry is one of the few to be blessed with a piece of equipment that does not have "built-in obsolescence", a regulatory body that allows you to write your own rule book and a work force that (if you believe everything you read on the internet) is actually prepared to pay to be employed.

Time for a change!