PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 12th Apr 2011, 20:22
Lonewolf_50

Received 435 Likes on 274 Posts
SASless, I don't find the assertion that 53D is medium lift to make sense. It was the original heavy lift, and the 53E "more and better" heavy lift.

That said, thanks for the link.
Description
The CH-53D is a medium lift helicopter designed to transport personnel, supplies and equipment in support of amphibious and shore operations.

Background
The CH-53D was ordered in the early 1960s to satisfy a Marine Corps requirement for a heavy lift helicopter. It has since been replaced in the heavy lift mission by the CH-53E Super Stallion. All Marine Corps CH-53D helicopters are currently assigned to Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay. The CH-53D, along with the CH-46E, is slated for replacement by the MV-22 Osprey.

I see what they did there. "The Spruance is no longer a cruiser, it is a destroyer." Thanks.

They could just as well have chosen to replace the 53D's with K's but probably didn't want to wait. 53D is a bit long in the tooth, yes? But what they chose to do was, in order to support the size of the desired buy, reclassify 53D as Med Lift in order to replace it with more of their favorite medium lift new plane.

Reminds me of the old F-20 and F-16 shell game ...