PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay recruitment, a question for the 89ers
Old 18th Sep 2002, 12:07
aussiedigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIALS offers sound advice, and has put it in perspective. Being labelled a 'scab' aside, what bargaining power do employees have in any industry if the labour market are not united against unruly management?

Again, HIALS words, but.... short term pain (perhaps) for benefits in the long run.

Scenario: Imagine YOU are currently employed by Cx, and have been for a decade or two. Now, something has happened that is not right, and YOU and your workmates need to stand together (as the leaders of the pilot workforce) to right the wrong. Imagine how you would feel if someone underminded what you were trying to stand for by ignoring the ban, and eroding the effectiveness of what you were trying to achieve. I know I would not be a happy lad.

Would you really want to work for an airline where this was occuring? ......really? No unity as a workforce = no power against changes for the worse, i.e. pay decreases in the long run, declining work conditions etc etc.

Support the Cx pilots now. Forget about them now. Apply in a year, or two or three, or however long it goes on for. Because if YOU do take a job there now, you are not only putting yourself on 'the list', you are also undermining the collective bargaining power of a workforce that YOU are a part of.

I know that I wouldn't want to be a part of that. Do something else.