PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport security (not a/c security)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2002, 12:00
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is that everyone should be questioned. Preferably before they get to the check-in desk and by highly trained people who are either employed by the government security services or have access to all the latest government intelligence services sources of information. It is called profiling. It immediately establishes whether the person being questioned warrants further investigation. There are 'triggers' that alert the questioner, the details of which need not be elaborated on here but suffice it to know that with the correct type of profiling, although expensive, is extremely effective.

It never ceases to amaze me how many times it is said that it would be too expensive and time consuming for the rest of the world to employ this kind of profiling yet we see how the industry in the US is struggling with the current overkill and continuous disruption of the current knee-jerk tactics. Add to that the state of affairs regarding fully screened hold baggage in the US. It is a joke and a very expensive one at that.

There is no such thing as 100% effective security and I don't think anyone really believes that there can ever be such a thing but at least, if we are going to provide a proper deterrent then let's do it properly and effectively without ruining our industry with the current sham that some beuraucrats have devised.