PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2011, 12:19
Graybeard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WX Radar

I would be interested to know more about the A330 radar control panel as fitted on this aircraft. Does it have an auto tilt function? If not, failure to reset the tilt manually to a cruise setting at top of climb might have meant that CB radar returns were not seen or correctly presented. An inadvertent CB penetration while coping with probe icing problems could easily lead to a big upset.
From what I read early on in the first thread in this accident, the accident plane was using the same WXR-700X system it had when new. That means manual tilt control to scan down into the wet part of the storm, deciding possible diversion route by 80 miles, etc.

The WXR-2100 with auto tilt, etc., became available in 2003-4, IIRC. It even has automatic sensitivity adjustment for earth latitude.

Like most airlines, AF kept flying with the older generation (1982 design) radar, because it was still legal. In fact, I believe AF never opted for the new Wx radar for their newer A330, for economy of crew training. Common spares is also a big factor in discouraging upgrades for newer planes in the fleet.

UAL used to be the only airline in the US with decent Wx radar training, and they did away with that years ago. Does any airline provide more than the mandated minimum today?