PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 12th Apr 2011, 00:12
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
The 200 hr SIC looking at his dead captain in the left seat is pretty much good for working the autopilot to a VMC airport with a long runway.

.. not on my watch.

If such is an option - absolutely the way to go and what we trained the kids to do.

However, if the option is not available, I sleep much better knowing that I gave the kid the basic skills to find his/her way back to the runway with a bunch of things conspiring to thwart a safe recovery.

While there is not a great deal of pragmatic sense in spending a lot of time training for things so far out of left field that the cost/benefit is extremely marginal, this one is too easy and, I suggest, not too great a cost to make it a worry.

Quite apart from which, the general benefit accrued in the ramping up of basic I/F skills produces a much more polished student at the end of the endorsement program - the self confidence benefits are palpable.

Afraid I just can't see anything much in training to the lowest common denominator - such an attitude probably is a result of acculturation as a product of the old (pre-1989) Ansett approach to over training.

An aside - on a contract years ago I had an initial command upgrade crew. The would-be captain was somewhat fearful of OEI work due, largely, to his training background in that particular airline. We were able to beg a few extra hours from the sim techs during late night sessions with the result that my gentle ministrations had both guys (upgrade captain and intake F/O) able to handle absolutely critical OEI failures during T/O etc., etc. It brings a smile even now to recall how their self confidence zoomed when they could handle a Vmcg-limited seizure (that operator had an FDR modelled bird strike which was somewhat eye-opening) in near nil vis with a min V1/V2 schedule AND be able to backtrack on the opposite end localiser through to clean up while keeping the box under control.

Mind you, they did end up with very sweaty shirts by the end of the sessions.

As the upgrade fellow observed during coffee before heading off home .. something along the lines of "I used to be frightened of failures, now it's a breeze".

Made a good captain, apparently, after breezing through the command checkout - overtraining has its advantages.