PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Individual CFI - Private or Hire
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 22:43
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Individual CFI - Private or Hire

Hi,

I am a foreigner living in the US. A friend of mine, also foreigner, wants to do his Private Pilot License. As a personal friend, I can offer those services to him "for free". But I have no intention of busting any labour/immigration laws. The visa I am here on allows me to work for compensation at the company I am at, a flight school. So the question is, would working as an individual CFI for a friend classify as working for compensation? I am not charging him for my service, he simply pays for aircraft rental and all other costs involved with the operation. We rent an aircraft from a flying club which are OK with us doing it that way. I am just asking about the labour/immigration elegibility. My employer is OK as long as it doesn't affect my regular job (Max 8 hrs a day, 900 hrs a year, as specfied in OM etc). I am also aware of TSA clearance and have started to investigate.

If anyone has any experience they would like to shed on this, I would greatly appreciate. I am asking here since I don't know what authority to start at, Immigration, FAA, AFSP etc.

Thanks