PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual FMC failure Boeing 737 ng
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2011, 22:16
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, the IDU shows True Track. You seem to have forgotten that, so that will send you straight off course with whatever magnetic variation in the area you are flying. Knowing your equipment may be a good starting point.

Assuming that you did read the instructions, let's be generous and say that because you manage to make some half precise fixes with your pencil along the way you only make a 3 degs error over e.g. a 300nm direct-to RNAV point. With basic MDR rules that would equate to 15nm. Considering the requirement for B-RNAV routes is 5 nm accuracy, I am sure ATC will be very happy about that.

You even mentioned yourself in your first post that the MEL says not to operate on BRNAV routes, but for some reason you decided to disregard it to go your own ways, because you know better and like to have fun!

Who said anything about panic or pan-pan, that would both be pretty ridiculous. It's hardly a state of urgency to request direct to a VOR (may I suggest brushing up on this subject as well). Like Greenslope this was exactly what I did and it was declined by ATC who instead provided a vector. Their choice not mine, their convenience, I don't care.
But I am not going to use my resources on ridiculous and unnecessary DR navigation and risking that my mistakes (of course some are infallible and never makes mistakes ) become someone else’s problem.

While you are sitting heads down drawing in your map, straying off your assigned route, I will calmly be drinking coffee like de facto ...or maybe even fly the aircraft or checking the odd volmet.

And what would you do over the Atlantic/Pacific/Africa/Australia/NE Asia? (i.e. No radar available - even if you need it.)
This was for my part covered before. I wrote that in the airspace above Europe DR navigation is not appropriate. With a failed RNAV system above the Atlantic it is on the other hand highly appropriate. Whatever resulting deviation must be made good when navigational aids are available again.

That you fail to see the difference shows lack of airmanship.

To Helen49 - SLF, I presume:
"The superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid having to use his superior skills". The macho "I'll show the world how good I am" pilot is luckily (almost) a thing of the past.