PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SK-92 Elevated Helideck Approach and Landing.
Old 11th Apr 2011, 14:59
albatross

Received 157 Likes on 79 Posts
At 40 KTS you'll probably be about 5-7 deg nose up to start with.
With 0 wind once you commit you may need to flare to as much as 15 and sometimes a little more - most I've seen is 20 to stop the beast if you commence the flare late. (often caused when the PF aims for the deck edge closest to the helicopter or the "H" VS aiming for the far deck edge and then commits late. (Why do helicopter pilots have a large divorce rate? - They are afraid to commit!)
Being as you are flying to a hover 10-15 ft above the deck that angle is not a problem re the dreaded "tail strike".
I think Vortex ring or settling with power ( 2 different things in my confused way of thinking ) will not be a problem.
Many guys transitioning from a medium machines such as the 76 have an initial learning curve when dealing with the difference in momentum between the medium and the heavy - the beast reacts slower - but learn the "feel" required very quickly - always funny as you zip past your intended taxiway on one or two onshore approaches.